Looking for Ways to Incorporate More Activity into Your Family's Life?
1) Active video games vs active play
2) Ways to increase preschoolers energetic play
3) Link for all Preschool Focus Newsletters (old and new)
Places to Play
Please click here to access a PDF filled with wonderful places to play for you, your child, and your family! Play together!
Toy Selection Tips from Occupational Therapists
Occupational therapy practitioners are experts in promoting participation in activity, including play. Read this toy selection checklist, developed by occupational therapy practitioners, to assist you in selecting toys that can help your child learn and develop while having fun.
Appropriate Toy and Play Development Tip Sheets
Birth to 12 months English Spanish
Ages 1-2 English Spanish
Ages 3-5 English Spanish
Ages 6-8 English Spanish
Ages 9-12 English Spanish
Health, Safety, and Resources for Children and Families
- Seattle & King County Public Health publishes a quarterly newsletter with information regarding the identification and management of special health issues for children. Read the current issue or search archives.
- Washington State Father's Network provides support for father's through a yearly conference, meetings, website materials, support groups, and family outings.
- The Washington State Parent to Parent Coalition provides support for parents through a multitude of avenues and family-friendly events.
- FamilyFirst has specialized pages for moms and dads with articles on parenting and building relationships with children, from newborns to tweens!
- A Care Notebook is a tool to help you organize important information about your child. Bring the notebook to appointments and meetings so you can easily share information with doctors, therapists, and school or child care staff. The Care Notebook is a resource available for parents of children with complicated needs or for children who see caregivers in multiple disciplines. Use it as a means of organizing home recs/reports/test results, etc. all in one location. The Care Notebook is free to parents! Access the Care Notebook here.
- Keeping your child healthy, safe, and generally well in all aspects of life can be a challenge! This link offers a wealth of information and resources for you and your family!
- Seattle's Child provides a variety of Seattle area resources, programs, and events for children ages birth to 18 years. The site includes a special section for children with an Autism Spectrum Disorder and a directory for community resources.
- CanChild website provides a wealth of information regarding child development.
Parent Training Videos: Check out this link for wonderful videos produced in partnership by King County DDD and The Arc of King County and King County Developmental Disabilities Division Early Intervention Program. They feature parents of children with disabilities sharing their insight regarding sibling support, parent support and IFSP (Individual Family Service Plan) development. These videos are also available in Spanish, Somali, and Vietnamese on the King County DDD Website.