William Barrett, MD is a fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon who specializes in primary and revision hip and knee replacement. He performs over 500 hip and knee replacement procedures each year. He is actively involved in clinical research on Anterior Approach Total Hip Replacement (THA), Alternative Bearings for THA, Less Invasive Approaches to joint replacement and use of computerized vs. custom cutting guides for knee replacement. As a nationally recognized joint replacement surgeon, he lectures globally on hip and knee replacement topics. He is active in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Continuing Medical Education programs. He is a board examiner for the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
Dr. Barrett has been involved in the design of some of the most commonly used hip and knee replacement systems used today. He is the medical director for the Joint Center at Valley Medical Center in Renton WA, voted the #1 hospital for joint replacement in 2010, 2011 by Healthgrades. He is president of the VOA Research Foundation and practices at Valley Orthopedic Associates Renton office.
Dr. Barrett was named a top doctor for joint replacement in the 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 and 2007 issues of Seattle Magazine and the 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 and 2008 issues of Seattle Metropolitan Magazine
Dr. Barrett has published book chapters and medical journal articles, and presented to the global medical community:
- Journal Article "Comparison of Radiographic Alignment of Imageless Computer-Assisted Surgery vs Conventional Instrumentation in Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty" Barrett et al Journal of Arthroplasty 2011
- Presented paper: "Large Diameter Modular Metal-on-Metal Total Hips: Assessing Soft Tissue Adverse Events" at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, February 2011, San Diego.
- Faculty, "Anterior Approach to Total Hip Arthroplasty," DePuy Orthopaedics Tissue-Sparing Solutions, November 2009, 2010, & 2012, Henderson, NV
- Faculty, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons course "Knee Arthroplasty: Uni, Total & Revision, Insight and New Techniques," October 2008, 2009, 2010, & 2011 Chicago, IL
- Faculty, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons course "Innovative Techniques in Primary Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty," October 2007, 2009, & 2011Chicago, IL
- Washington State Orthopedic Associate annual meeting guest speaker, October 2011, Pullman, WA
- Oregon Association of Orthopedists annual meeting guest speaker, November 2011
- Presented "Prospective Randomized Study of Anterior vs. Postero-lateral Approach For Total Hip Arthroplasty" American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Francisco CA, Feb 2012
- Journal Article "Large Diameter Modular Metal-on-Metal Total Hip Arthroplasty: Incidence of Revision for Adverse Reaction to Metallic Debris" - The Journal of Arthroplasty, June 2012
- Presented to FDA Orthopedic Devices and Rehabilitation panal regarding Metal-on-Metal Total Hips- Washington, DC June 2012
Learn about the latest in joint replacement, read comments or post one yourself at Dr. Barrett'sjoint replacement blog.
Valley Medical Center, Renton
Swedish Medical Center, Seattle
Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Member, American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
Member, Western Orthopaedic Association
Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1988
Arthritis Surgery and Joint Reconstruction, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 1986
University of Washington, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1985
University of Southern California School of Medicine, 1980